LOS ANGELES – City National Bank is partnering once again with Barnes & Noble this holiday season for a multi-state book drive that will celebrate the joy of reading and benefit area schools in California, Nevada and New York.
It is part of the world’s largest bookseller’s annual Holiday Book Drive, which runs from November 1 through January 1. To participate in the book drive, holiday shoppers can purchase a book at select Barnes & Noble stores and donate it as part of this holiday program. City National’s Reading is The way up®
literacy program will match each book donated, up to $50,000, and the books will be distributed to area schools early next year.
“The holidays are a great time to help those in need and with all of the budget issues facing our schools today, reading is perhaps one of the greatest gifts we can give our children,” said Carolyn Rodriguez, head of Reading is The way up at City National Bank. “As one of the largest banks in the country, we at City National understand that a child’s education is one of the best investments you can make.”
Fifteen Barnes & Noble book stores in California, Nevada and New York will participate in the drive. They include:
- Barnes & Noble, Los Angeles (189 The Grove Drive)
- Barnes & Noble, Escondido (810 West Valley Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Corte Madera (313 Town Center)
- Barnes & Noble, Costa Verde (8860 Genesee Avenue)
- Barnes & Noble, Del Mar (12835 El Camino Real)
- Barnes & Noble, Mira Mesa (10775 Westview Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Newport Beach (401 Newport Center Drive, #A215)
- Barnes & Noble, Point Loma (Bookstar, 3150 Rosecrans Place)
- Barnes & Noble, Riverside (3485 Tyler Street)
- Barnes & Noble, San Jose (2200 Eastridge Loop)
- Barnes & Noble, Ventura (4820 Telephone Road)
- Barnes & Noble, Walnut Creek (1149 South Main Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Reno (5555 S. Virginia Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Las Vegas (8915 West Charleston Blvd.)
- Barnes & Noble, New York City (160 East 54th Street)
Some of the schools that will receive donated books include: Hyde Leadership Charter School in New York City; Dodson Elementary School in Reno; James McMillan Elementary School in Las Vegas; International Studies Learning Center in Los Angeles; O.B. Whaley Elementary School in San Jose; Sheridan Way Elementary School in Ventura; Felicita and Pomerado Elementary Schools in San Diego; Springhill Elementary School in Walnut Creek; Foothill Elementary in Riverside; and Everett A. Rea Elementary in Orange County.
About City National
City National Bank is the wholly owned subsidiary of City National Corporation (NYSE: CYN). It is backed by $21.8 billion in total assets, and provides banking, investment and trust services through 74 offices, including 17 full-service regional centers, in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Nevada and New York City. The company and its investment affiliates manage or administer $56.9 billion in client investment assets, including nearly $36 billion under direct management.
For more information about City National, visit the company’s Website at cnb.com
About Reading is The way up®
Seeking to better the education of school children, City National in April 2002 launched a multi-faceted initiative to restock the state’s school library system. Since then, the award-winning program has:
- Donated more than 55,000 books to school libraries in California, New York and Nevada.
- Awarded $325,000 to teachers at elementary, middle and high schools for creative literacy projects.
- Helped open 20 new elementary school libraries through its partnership with The Wonder of Reading in Los Angeles.
- Raised more than $350,000 in charitable gifts from colleagues and clients through its Reading is The way up Fund.
The Reading is The way up Fund
is a 501(c)(3) administered by the California Community Foundation. Visit www.readingisthewayup.org