LOS ANGELES, CA – City National Bank today announced that for the 5thconsecutive year bank colleagues collected and are donating nearly 1,000 backpacks filled with school supplies as part of its Annual Back-to-School Supplies Drive held last month. City National is donating these backpacks and supplies to 30 elementary schools and one nonprofit group for the new school year in California, Nevada, New York, Georgia and Tennessee.
What began several years ago by a handful of caring colleagues in a back office area of the bank has expanded to the entire bank. Last year the bank donated a record number of school supplies totaling more than 41,000 items. This year bank colleagues decided to enhance the program to include backpacks already filled with the necessary school supplies.
Bank colleagues are also taking part in teaching City National’s Dollars + Sense financial literacy program to students at the schools receiving backpacks. City National started its financial literacy program several years ago as an enhancement to its award-winning Reading is The way up® literacy program. The Dollars + Sense program is for grades K-12 and teaches age appropriate information about banking and finance.
“It’s very heartwarming to see our colleagues donate to this program knowing that they too have been impacted by the recent and severe economic downturn,” said Jennifer Nickerson, vice president and community relations manager for City National. “This program reaffirms the importance of community and educational outreach at City National and that we not only want to be the way up for our clients, colleagues and shareholders, but for our communities too.”
The school supplies collected for the backpacks include erasers, highlighters, round-tip scissors, packs of wide ruled paper, colored pencils, folders, notebooks, pencil sharpeners, rulers, boxes of crayons, glue sticks, #2 pencils, three-ring binders, and more. In addition to these supplies, bank colleagues donated countless hours of their time packaging and delivering these supplies to the various schools receiving them. A handful of the bank’s vendors also contributed to this year’s program. ImageScan, Inc., LSDeep and Sweet Water Printing generously contributed school supplies for the backpacks.
The elementary schools and nonprofit group receiving school supplies are as follows:
- Marshall Elmentary, Anaheim
- Sunkist Elementary, Anaheim
- Bel Air Elementary, Bay Point
- Winnetka Elementary, Canoga Park
- Meadows Homes Elementary, Concord
- Share Our Selves, Costa Mesa
- Potrero Elementary, El Monte
- Academia Moderna Charter School, Los Angeles
- Atwater Elementary, Los Angeles
- Carthay Center Elementary, Los Angeles
- 10th Street Elementary, Los Angeles
- Synergy Charter School, Los Angeles
- Lowman Elementary, North Hollywood
- Lincoln Elementary, Oakland
- Foothill Elementary, Riverside
- Franklin Elementary, Santa Barbara
- Logan Elementary, San Diego
- Monarch Elementary, San Diego
- Redding Elementary, San Francisco
- Walter L. Bachrodt Elementary, San Jose
- Somis Elementary, Somis
- John C. Fremont Elementary, Carson City
- C.C. Meneley Elementary, Gardnerville
- Helen Jydstrup Elementary, Las Vegas
- Jack Dailey Elementary, Las Vegas
- Paradise Elementary, Las Vegas
- Elmcrest Elementary, Reno
- Hyde Leadership Charter School, Bronx
- PS 93 School, Bronx
- International Community School, Decatur
- Carter Lawrence Elementary, Nashville
About City National
City National Corporation (NYSE: CYN) has $30.8 billion in assets. The company’s wholly owned subsidiary, City National Bank, provides banking, investment and trust services through 77 offices, including 16 full-service regional centers, in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Nevada, New York City, Nashville and Atlanta. City National and its investment affiliates manage or administer $65.8 billion in client investment assets, including $47.1 billion under direct management.
For more information about City National, visit the company’s Website at cnb.com.